Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Why This Blog? Why Now?


At Mass we often hear the constant calls for vocations to the priesthood and religious life but what to do if you feel that you were meant to walk another path?  Will those in the Church act as good shepherds and help you in your struggle to find your way, or will you be forced to travel this path alone?
       
As a lifelong and devout Catholic, I have NEVER had a calling to the priesthood.  This is not a bad thing.  It just means that for a very long time, I've felt a very strong desire to be married.  It's great that there are people in the world who have a calling to the priesthood and religious life and if you feel choosing this vocation is why God put you on this earth then no one should get in the way of that.  However, the Catholic Church's desire to see more priests fill its ranks often unfairly places my calling to the Sacrament of Marriage on a far less important rung in the grand scheme of things.
       
Think about it.  A common intention our lector says at Mass is: "We pray for vocations from the young men of this parish…that they will hear God's call and say yes."  The word "discernment" is often thrown in for good measure too.  However, a "vocation" can mean many things…a career…a hobby…a craft…a way of life that gives you fulfillment.  When did the definition for the all important v-word get changed to something that only applied to the priesthood and religious life?  For those of us sitting in the pews each week with the vocation of marriage burning in our hearts we are left to wonder how come no one publicly prays for us with the same sense of legitimacy and importance?  
       
Have you ever heard a lector or priest during Mass say, "We pray for the single Catholics of this parish…that they might find companionship and fulfillment in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony."  I haven't but it's not like I didn't try.  During a town hall meeting at my former parish, I mentioned my struggles as a single Catholic to our pastor and suggested they pray for the people like me at Mass during the intentions.  After he nervously grinned (probably because such an idea was so foreign to him) he talked about some of the steps that the parish could take to encourage fellowship among single Catholics but as the months passed, nothing ever came of this.  How crushed my soul felt sitting in the pews week after week with the realization my parish couldn't even be bothered to pray for the people in my situation let alone recognize our needs.
       
The Church is at a very serious crossroad which it can no longer afford to ignore.  Religion simply does not play an important role in many people's lives anymore as society continues its march toward the secular.  Parishes are closing.  Congregations are graying out with very few young adults to fill the pews.  You'd think the Church would do all it could to promote fellowship and marriage for faithful single Catholics.
       
The sad truth is many of the actions (and inactions) of the Catholic Church have only driven people away.  This is a tragedy because I think there are so many great things the Church does have to offer especially when we look at how mainstream society suffers from addiction, materialism, greed and meaningless interpersonal relationships.
       
I was raised Catholic since birth and have been devout for a very long time but my faith is like a ship adrift in a storm.  I am a lost sheep wondering why I am on this lonely path.  Are you one too?  I suspect there are many single Catholics out there who have suffered from similar disappointments and if the Church is to survive and grow, it needs to stop acting like we don't exist.

10 comments:

  1. I've never felt a call to marriage and I'm a 43 year old male who is discerning a call to the monastery. It took me 25 years to get my act in order for me to bee at a point in my life where I can make a good choice. It's probably too late for a call to the monastery though. It also does not help that I'm an aspie who's never dated and now that I came back to the church I'm much more at peace with everything. You should try going to the Latin mass like me and pray lots too.

    I'm a good looking guy too but am an extreme INTJ and prefer in the extreme to be alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you feel the call to the monastery, you should pursue it. I know of a few priests who were ordained in their late 50s with one entering the priesthood after his wife of 30 years passed away.

      Delete
  2. You have commented on things I've written elsewhere, so to some extent we are of like mind.

    But I just can't understand how anyone who has apparently never dated in the wasteland that is the modern Catholic Church, can "[feel] a strong desire to be married". Others in a similar condition write that they "have discerned the call to the married vocation" to use that obnoxiously church-y language that modern-day RE teachers apparently shove on young people nowadays. This attitude simply defies logic.

    I will certainly agree that parishes no longer hold community activities where couples might meet. At least a generation ago, they quit supporting the old in-person "Catholic social network" that provided gentle assistance for those singles who needed help finding potential dates.

    If you can't find dates, HOW can you possibly know that you want to be married? You simply can't. I am content to be a middle-aged Catholic single... but I do wonder, at nearly fifty years of age, how things might have turned out if the parishes I've attended in the diocese of Phoenix, Arizona since the late 1980's had ever done ANYTHING to help me identify unmarried and available Catholic women. I do wonder about that. But I surely don't know that I was "supposed" to be married. That's putting the cart way, way before the horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Uncle Fester, but I respectfully disagree.

      We all have callings and sometimes they can be strong. It's a feeling, passion or intuition that wells up inside and cries out to be fulfilled. My dating history has yet to be mentioned in this blog but I have been strongly attracted to the opposite sex for quite some time. As a devout Catholic, I have two options: Marriage or living a single and chaste life.

      Regarding your point: “If you can't find dates, HOW can you possibly know that you want to be married? ” Does the thought of being in a committed monogamous relationship appeal to me? Yes. Would I like to have sexual relations with a woman someday? You bet. Is having a family important to me? Absolutely. Which option is the pathway to fulfill all of this? Marriage.

      Unlike you, I do feel I'm "supposed" to be married much in the same way an artist feels he should paint. It's all part of answering the question, “Why did God put me on this earth?”

      For me, living a single, chaste life weighs my soul down because it reminds me how far off course I am. Surely, you must have heard more than a few athletes or musicians say they knew at an early age what they wanted to do in life. The more distant they were from their goal, the more miserable they became.

      In many ways, marriage is a big leap of faith. Is anyone 100% sure their marriage will endure? Can our parents honestly say they knew what they were getting into when they had kids? No on both counts but as a Catholic, marriage isn't something you can test drive for a few months and then return to the store when you don't like it.

      The personal ads are filled with people longing for marriage and kids so I don't think having the feeling that you are “supposed” to be married is so strange. Perhaps this desire is not as strong in you but it is a considerable force in my life and that's the point of this blog. God Bless.

      Delete
  3. FYI, and so I don't have to repeat what I've already written, please refer to this article where I found your blog. My comments are under the name "Larry Bud" (as they are in many other articles under the Disqus comment system):

    http://www.uscatholic.org/articles/201407/flying-solo-life-single-catholic-29188

    You can see that I had a mini-discussion with another guy last weekend. He also writes how sure he is that he's "called" to be married. All I can say in response is that desperate women far outnumber men in writing that kind of stuff.

    We both know that these women hide from men. I know that I've never met one in person. Never. They may even have outdated beliefs like "women should not approach men for dates".

    You're right, you haven't written about your dating history and I am not asking you to. Again please refer to the other article for my details, but in summary I was so focused on school and career until my early thirties, and after that - when I had time available to consider dating - I realized that I didn't know any single Catholic women, and had no avenues available to find them.

    I don't know if I'd enjoy being married, and I don't navel-gaze about why God put me on this earth, or whether marriage is meant to be part of that. I don't have enough dating history to care one way or the other. That may sound odd to you but it's the truth. And I can't imagine how one could "know" that to be true, unless you've found someone to date, and then dated her long enough to want to be married. Does that make sense? Help me to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is much we don't have in common and that's probably why I don't understand some of what you are saying. I thought I made some clear points in my previous response.

      In my 30s I was not 100% focused on career but I did put a high priority on finding a girlfriend who would someday be my wife. Is sex, love and romance a strong yearning in your life because it is mine and the only way a Catholic can gain all of these things (in addition to having kids) is through marriage. Hence, I want to be married. What don't you understand about that? I feel it's what I was meant to do. No "navel-gazing" there. In fact, there isn't much to discern because the though of being single and chaste for the rest of my life feels all wrong to me just as the thought of sleeping around and having one night stands would.

      Again, why do some people "just know" what they were meant to do in life? A pacifist doesn't have to be a combat soldier to know they have an aversion to war. It's something inside them that they feel...an intuition or instinct as I said before. Surely you must have heard the phrase know thy self. I can say with 100% certainty, I will never ever build skyscrapers. I don't have to try it out to know this.

      Delete
  4. That's an interesting perspective.

    But I suppose that whether you want to first find other singles and then date and then decide if you might want to be married... or if you have decided that you want to be married even though you don't have a candidate in mind... the Church offers no support to either situation.

    Perhaps this is why the occasional "singles groups" fail so quickly. Mixing the two types of people is probably a recipe for disaster in many ways.

    That's why I'm more sure than ever that old-fashioned parish life... where events like picnics and social mixers were open to the entire community... were so useful for helping people to actually know each other, and those that needed a little help finding dates and potential spouses, got it as a natural by-product of community life.

    Now that Church marriages have fallen off to near zero, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until organized "ministries" start popping up to address this, because that's how the Church deals with anything now. Hire some more paid staffers to develop a one-size-fits-all approach that will turn off almost everyone. I wish I could be more optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the interesting read LL. Totally agree with your earlier comments - the church needs to sort something for adult singles quickly, to involve us in the church before we give up and leave....

    But, we gotta have hope, right? God will do something with us, even if bishops won't ;)

    SB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope God will do something but as the years and even decades pass, it's difficult to keep doubt from creeping in. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete