Sunday, February 11, 2018

Two Years Out

The inspiration for this blog can be found here:
  https://christianpundit.wordpress.com/
Yesterday marked the two-year anniversary of this blog.  Many months before the site was created, I found myself spending a great deal of time searching the internet just to see what others had to say about being Christian and single.  Was loneliness weighing heavy on their souls?  Did they think the Church was ignoring them?  Were they frustrated because their parish priests just didn't fully comprehend their woes?  What I found on various Christian blogs, chat rooms and articles was heartbreaking.

A celibate older man who never dated before felt so lonely, he wished for cancer just to put an end to his miserable life.  A woman who had never even kissed a guy wondered if her toddler niece would grow up and lose her virginity first.  One middle-aged virgin was so frustrated, he contemplated hiring a prostitute just to finally get sex over with.  A postmenopausal woman felt betrayed by God because she would never know the joy of bringing life into the world.  There was a great deal of hurt out there and it made me angry.  These singles were miserable because many years ago, they had embraced the Church's teachings.  Now they found themselves abandoned in an ever-shrinking dating pool.














I had thought about blogging for a while but the spirit finally moved me after reading a blog called Christian Pundit (not to be confused with The Christian Pundit).  Its author is a single woman who writes to vent her frustrations and she doesn't care if people perceive her as being too negative.  I thought it was refreshing to see content that wasn't sugarcoated and figured this approach would work for my own blog.  If people found inspiration or wisdom from Long Lost Black Sheep that would be great, but I do not write to gain followers or impress other people.  Posting content is actually cathartic but my two years in the blogosphere has brought its fair share of quirky reactions.

“I agree with you but here's why you're wrong.”  Sometimes readers will complement me on a post but then go on to pick apart its content in rather blunt ways.  I don't mind dissent as long as it's respectful.  Not agreeing with me is one thing.  Passing off your opinions as the Gospel truth is another.

“You're only making yourself more miserable.”  I'm already miserable.  This blog is simply a byproduct of my chronic loneliness.  Those burning desires won't disappear if I suddenly stopped writing.

“We have so much in common.”  If you make this statement but then go on to tell me how different your life is from mine, then we don't have much in common.

Over-sharing  One reader was so happy to find my blog, he started telling me very inappropriate details about his life.  If your sister likes to “chase cock” and your libido has gone way down, I don't want to hear about it.  This blog features moderated comments because some reader remarks were too vulgar.

Bad advice  If you tell me I should be happy as a single person or all I really need is God's love then this blog is not for you.  If you think I should become a priest and / or join a monastery, then this blog REALLY isn't for you.

Insulting  I hoped people would be fairly Christ-like on a Catholic blog but some readers have been just plain rude.  Perhaps they can't see their insensitivity.  Maybe they can but just don't care.  When I told one reader not to comment on this blog anymore, he fired a parting shot by saying I should seek psychological help before I hurt myself.

Reading comprehension  I can tell when someone doesn't read my content very carefully because they will ask me questions that have already been answered.  If I mention my hometown in a post, then you shouldn't be asking me where I'm from.

Invasive  Asking a total stranger if they are still a virgin is pretty inappropriate even for a Catholic blog.  Telling me what is going on in my mind when you don't even know me crosses a line too.

Missing the point  I once spent a great deal of time going back and forth with a reader because he couldn't understand my strong calling to be married (which is a central theme to this blog).  After all was said and done, he still didn't get it.  

Despite all of these quirks, there have been a number of comments from thoughtful and considerate readers.  I'm not looking for people to agree with me but you should be respectful.  Having a blog can be a very personal thing and I think I'm entitled to set some standards.  (The author of Christian Pundit does not allow dissent.)

After two years on the internet, I continue to enjoy putting my thoughts out there.  Who knows how long this site will remain active but there is still much to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment