Wednesday, July 18, 2018

You're Not Welcome

A few months ago, I received a group email from my former parish promoting an event called JESUS aCROSS the Border.  Entitled “College Night!  Represent Your Current, Former, or Favorite College” it read:

Join JESUS aCROSS the Border, the umbrella organization which unites over 20 different young adult Catholic groups, for its first college campus event! The event is geared towards young adults, 18-35 years of age, but is open to anyone who would like to find out more about the JESUS aCROSS the Border mission.

Despite saying the gathering was open to all, it was clear people my age weren't welcome.  Why else would they put an age range in the invitation?  My thoughts turned to the young adult pizza nights at my former parish from a few years ago.  I had been urged to attend by my deacon but trying to mingle with so many teens and 20 year olds was an incredibly awkward experience.  The itinerary for JESUS aCROSS the Border also included pizza.

According to the invitation, the event started with Eucharistic adoration and acoustic praise and worship led by Angelique Bolduc of LIFT Ministries.  A young adult Mass followed with Fr. Carlos Suarez as the main Mass celebrant.  It made me wonder exactly what a young adult Mass was.  Does the priest tailor his sermon around the struggles a college student might face?  The “signature networking pizza social” that followed Mass claimed to be “a fantastic opportunity for over 20 Catholic young adult groups to network with one another and for YOU to get to know the many groups out there that are ready to support you in your faith journey!”

After reading the invitation, I wondered why it seemed like every Church event had to hit people over the head with religion.  Sometimes we just want to connect with our fellow Catholics in a less rigid setting.  When I discussed my struggles as a single with the woman who organized young adult events at my former parish, she suggested Eucharistic adoration and the men's Bible study group.  Now if I were feeling lonely and desired the company of a good woman, why on earth would I seek out the men's only group?!  Adoration doesn't really allow for any conversation between its participants.  It just goes to show you how ill-prepared the Church is when singles like me ask for help.

There are some who believe Christ must be the focal point of every church activity and some studies claim when “feel good” events are placed above those focused on Jesus, parishes wither away.  I’ve read other studies where young adults say they became alienated from the Church because activities targeting their age group were too heavy-handed.  Frankly, I don't think there's anything wrong with a more relaxed approach when it comes to Catholic social events.

Our regional bishop wrote in his parish's bulletin how surprised he was to learn the average age young people decide to leave the Church was 13.  It’s not surprising to me because that’s when many of us start to question life's mysteries and wonder about our place in the world.  Wouldn't young people feel more welcomed by a loving community of faith instead of having the Church’s beliefs drilled into them by rote?

The hierarchy must be very worried about the future because now the Pope is actually convening a Synod on Young People, the Faith, and Vocational Discernment to better understand why young people are leaving the faith in droves.  I would have loved something like this during my high school and college years but back then, the Church largely took its young people for granted.  Now they are trying to play catch up.  Will these efforts succeed or is it simply too little too late?

The synod will only focus on Catholics ages 16 to 29 so once again, people like me are not welcome.  We are the forgotten and the Church does not want to acknowledge us.

No comments:

Post a Comment